BACHELOR OF ARTS IN RELIGION | MAJOR IN church ministries
The Church Ministries major is of particular interest to those who wish to stress education and teaching as primary aspects of their Christian ministry. An in-depth study of Bible and Theology (42 semester hours) constitutes the backbone of the studies. Practics courses concerned with teaching and learning methods (51 semester hours) prepare students for effective communication of their message and convictions. General Studies comprise 30 semester hours.
Director: Andrew Evans
Education: B.Th., Summit Pacific College, M.A., ACTS Seminary, D. Min., Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary
Bio: Andrew has been leading the Youth Leadership and Church Ministries programs since 2010. He graduated with his Doctor of Ministry degree from Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary in 2016. Andrew is passionate about seeing young people encounter Jesus and desires to see his students prepared for ministering to the next generation.
Experience: Pastor for 13 years, Associate Professor
Church Ministries Courses
- Foundations of Counselling I
- Ministry to Adults/Ministry to Children
- Local Church Leadership
- Church Ministries Internship
- Principles of Teaching
- Cross Cultural Studies
- Developmental Psychology
- Resource and Program Development
Upon completion of the 4 year degree program the student shall be able to:
- understand what Christian education is and its importance to the local church;
- demonstrate knowledge of the history and literature of Christian education;
- demonstrate an understanding of the theories, practices and methods of teaching, outreach and discipleship at all levels;
- understand contemporary issues, trends and needs of people in society especially as it relates to the disciple-making mandate of the church;
- articulate a Biblical philosophy and strategy of Christian education;
- communicate effectively with varying audience contexts; and,
- nurture the practice of ministry in the power of the Spirit.
Graduates of this course are prepared for both pastoral and classroom ministry. Also, a sound foundation is laid for advanced studies and degrees. This program is recommended for those who plan to become teaching pastors or evangelists, missionary educators, directors of Christian Education, Sunday School or youth workers.