BACHELOR OF ARTS IN RELIGION | MAJOR IN intercultural Studies
The Intercultural Studies program is designed to provide the student with a solid grounding in:
- Bible and theology (42 semester hours)
- Practical cross-cultural ministry (51 semester hours) and
- General Studies (30 semester hours).
With an emphasis on intercultural ministry, the program imparts principles that will assist the student to effectively communicate the gospel across cultural barriers.
- The Bible has a missions focus from the first to last chapter! Both the OT & NT present the divine mandates to mankind to share God's ways and teachings with humanity.
- Jesus sent all of his disciples on a mission. He continues to call for disciples who are willing to go on a mission for him. In order to be successful in our corporate and individual missions, we need to acquire the right tools to be effective for Christ.
- The Holy Spirit is the director of mission. As believers filled with the Spirit, we are called upon to work with him to fulfil the missions he designs for us. God is definitely moving by His Spirit and we must keep in step with His direction.
- Most people on planet earth are not Christians. According to the Bible they are lost and Christ sends us to reach them with the "good news" of the gospel.
- We live in a world with billions of people who have a different culture and worldview than ours. To reach them with the gospel, we need special tools and knowledge to communicate cross-culturally. This requires much study, practice and experience.
- Canada is a very multi-cultural country with the majority of people being from diverse cultures, that are usually different from ours. 300,000 new immigrants arrive every year, most of whom do not know Jesus as Lord and Saviour. We have great opportunities to reach them if we are able to communicate effectively in terms they understand.
- Other religions are registering dramatic growth with Islam leading the way. To understand people who are raised with other religious affiliations, it requires study, research, and the development of missiological strategies to reach them.
Director: Wilf Hildebrandt
Education: B. Min., Summit Pacific College, M.T.S., Regent College, Th. M., Regent College, D. Th., University of South Africa.
Bio: Wilf has been leading the Intercultural Studies, RoMER and General Studies programs since 2004. He graduated with his Doctor of Theology degree from the University of South Africa in 2004. Wilf is passionate about global missions and desires to see his students equipped to effectively communicate the gospel across cultural barriers. Wilf also serves as the Dean of Education at SPC.
- Comparative Religions (elective)
- Special Topics in Missions(elective)
- Optional Elective: One NFPL course
- Intercultural Internship
- Cross Cultural Studies
- Intercultural Communication
- Leadership Development
- Pastoral Theology
- Global Workers: Principles & Practices
Additional Requirements for PAOC Credentials: 3 Local Church Leadership
Upon completion of this 4 year program the student shall be able to:
- demonstrate an understanding of the various practical and theoretical aspects of the pastoral and missionary intercultural ministry in the local Canadian setting as well as in foreign contexts (which includes knowledge concerning ethnic churches, ministries, and opportunities for global work locally and abroad);
- understand the various practical and theoretical aspects of cross-cultural ministry, communication, and the contextualization of the gospel message in other cultures;
- give evidence of an in-depth understanding of the call to intercultural ministry, as well as the confidence that his/her spiritual gifts and abilities are adequate for that ministry;
- exhibit a passion for mission work and an appreciation for intercultural relationships;
- evaluate personal strengths and weaknesses as they relate to the challenges of cross-cultural ministry;
- understand and participate in global issues from a Christian world view; and,
- nurture the practice of intercultural ministry in the power of the Spirit.